March 18, 2010

SPRING HAS SPRUNG . . .

Spring has sprung,

the grass is ris,

I wonder where the flowers is.

     Spring may not officially begin until this Saturday, but I can definitely see, feel and hear it all around me right now. We have been having the most gorgeous weather this past week and with all of the winter rain we received in Southern California, everything is so green.


The birds are definitely enjoying themselves; they’ve been singing and chirping and chasing after each other so much that I find myself drawn to the windows just to watch and vicariously take in their joy. And, despite the lack of attention my courtyard flower containers have received of late (since I refused to venture out into the cold this winter to tend to them), some of my plants are full of buds and actually have flowers growing! Isn’t Mother Nature wonderful?
     Yes, Mother Nature may be wonderful, but she hasn’t done all of my work for me – there is still plenty to do. This week-end would be the ideal time to begin revamping both my courtyard and back patio. 
     With that in mind, I’d like to take you on a mini tour of some of my favorite shops for finding not only beautiful and unique plants for both indoors and out, but also some fabulous containers, accessories, patio furniture, etc. I always leave these places feeling totally inspired.
     First stop, Roger's Gardens of Newport Beach. Let me warn you, this place is huge - 7 acres huge.  When you enter it for the first time it will take your breath away; sometimes it's difficult to focus because there is so much to take in.  Just make sure that you've set aside enough time to visit all of the different garden rooms and walk the full grounds - it's spectacular!
     If you dont' live near enough to physically visit Roger's Gardens, I suggest you visit them online.  You can't purchase online, but it's still a great source of inspiration and definitely worth your time perusing.



It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you've got it, you want - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so! ~Mark Twain












Spring is nature's way
of saying, "Let's party!"
   Robin Williams







"The earth laughs in flowers." e. e. cummings









Gardening requires lots of water -- most of it in the form of perspiration.
                 Lou Erickson

     Next stop, Inner Gardens. They have three different locations in Los Angeles, all with wonderful items.  They are not nearly as large as Rogers Gardens, but still have plenty with which to entice you and get those gardening juices flowing.




"I stuck my head out the window this morning and spring kissed me bang in the face. "
  Langston Hughes



Gardening is the art that uses flowers and plants as paint, and the soil and sky as canvas.
                   Elizabeth Murray


             All through the long winter, I dream of my garden.
            On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into
            the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar.
                                                       Helen Hayes

Our third and final  stop is Rolling Greens Nursery.  They have two California locations, Culver City and Los Angeles, but Culver City is the only location that is a true nursery.  Their  L.A location is primarily home and garden accessory items mixed in with some great items for the bed, bath and kitchen.  
    
                 "Earth laughs in flower."  Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Kiss of the sun for pardon. Song of the birds for mirth. You're closer to God's heart in a garden than any place else on earth." --
                        Dorothy Frances Gurney

That concludes our tour for today . . . you may exit towards the left.

No comments: